Sunday 21 February 2010

Highs and hypos another day in the world of diabetes...

So I went out last night. I had a good old half pound burger and chips on the way home. It was probably rather foolish of me but I did dose for that. I mean I was sober even after four pints and a shot of that confounded thing known as Jaegermeister. I suppose my liver doesn't like me enough to keep chucking out glucose when I need it at the same time as metabolising alcohol. I rolled back in to my flat in halls at two in the morning and was in bed by three. I woke up at seven thirty with a blood glucose of eighteen point nine millimoles per litre. Damn it. So what did I choose to do about it? Well, standard procedure really. I gave seven units of Novorapid. Then I went back to sleep until midday. The joys of being a student. I woke up to a blood glucose of nine millimoles per litre. Not too bad I think. Then I decided to go shopping in the afternoon. I got back after a massive shop (spent only thirty three quid!) and decided to have a pint of apple juice and a few chocolate digestives (dark chocolate I'll have you know.) A few hours later I've had the wonderful thing that's a hypo. I suppose I should be grateful for the fact that I actually felt the damn thing. Two point eight millimoles per litre isn't pleasant. I do belive it's down to the glycaemic index values of what I ate after the shop. I reckon that the insulin hit and took out the rise but after that things just dropped right down and down into hypo. Frustrating is it not? I'll bloody well say so. At this current moment I'm procrastinating about work and munching on my tea. Typical bloody student. I must depart as the episode of Wallander that I have up and running on BBC Iplayer beckons...

1 comment:

  1. Next time - mix Jaegermeister and Goldschläger together - goes down much better (like cinnamon and you poop out gold fragments later on LOL). Ahh, alcohol, buggers up our BG's in a somewhat wild way, but what can we do? We are only human despite our being a PWD!

    ReplyDelete