Saturday 20 February 2010

The promised update...

Well don't say I didn't warn you. This is the update that I promised last night. After correcting a blood glucose of fourteen point five millimoles per litre I thought that would be it and it would gracefully sink into the acceptable range. Sod's law being Sod's law dictated otherwise. About an hour and a half after taking the correction I dropped into a hypo. I know a three point nine millimoles per litres isn't a bad one. I just took a fair few glucose tablets and went back to my bed time reading (for those interested it's on the greats of laboratory medicine, yes, I did print a load of things from a rather good website to read) and then promptly turned in for the night. You'd have thought that would have been the end of it wouldn't you? It turned out otherwise. I awoke at two in the morning lathered in sweat and feeling distinctly hypo. Upon testing with my blood machine which has a glow in the dark screen I found my blood glucose to be at two point six millimoles per litre. Not good. Prompt action ensued and I was munching on glucose tablets and toast like there was no tomorrow. I even got creative; for some reason I sprinkled sugar onto my second piece of toast. Who said diabetes doesn't have it's highlights? Devising rather wacky toast related concoctions at two in the morning makes for great fun if you're hypo! That did have consequences which bit me when I woke up this morning. My blood glucose was thirteen point seven millimoles per litre. Not the best thing to start the day on but I suppose that id does beat being hypo, but not by much let me assure you.

Time to be getting on with two things, a piece of coursework and then the odious practise that is reflective learning which I must do alot of over the next few years and possibly my career. Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment