Monday 1 February 2010

Some late night musings...

Well, going by my clock it's one in the morning. What sane induvidual remains out of that wonderful thing called a bed by choice at this time??? If that were the standards by which we judge insanity various genii would be defined as insane. I suppose there has to be a touch of insanity with genius, I mean look at Einstein's hair!

I suppose the point of this post is to whine about insulins. Granted things have come along way since the days of two jabs a day and no glucose monitoring bar the occaisional venous sample sent to the labs or some such but I still like to moan, people should be worried if I stop moaning rather than if I start.
For instance, I would dearly love to meet the pharmacist who developed Levemir. I acknowledge that the art of creating something like that is one that takes many years to master but when you're dependant upon a drug that doesn't do what it says on the tin I suppose one has the right to be somewhat miffed. I would dearly love that my Levemir (which, for various reasons has been the root of alot of my troubles) did last the whole twenty four hours that the manufacturer says it will. I've been on split doses of that insulin. It wasn't pretty to say the least. During the course of my carbohydrate counting course I gradually worked out that the split dose wasn't the way forward. The result was a single dose of levemir. That had things down to a fine point which worked so damn well. Until I went to university that is. I started playing around and this made my life so much harder than it needed to be diabetes wise. I made too many changes over a short space of time without any proper thought, just the desire to see good numbers in the screen of my blood machine. The good news is that things are back on track now though. I'm getting the basal sorted. My nurse's advice of increasing the dose until the numbers got better turns out to be complete bunkum. It seems I was getting too much and I make the loose assumption that this was driving me into a hypo, my pancreas dumped a load of glucagon into my blood stream which caused my liver to dump a load of glucose into my blood stream. This was happening without me noticing sadly so thus went undetected. At least I know what was going wrong and I'm in the process of sorting it out.

My second whinge of the night. Now I've recently bought some weights to help stave off the advance of the student beer belly. It's badly needed. I like a bit of a work out here in my room in halls. The one bugger to this I have discovered is that weights cause my blood to rise sadly. It seems that during weights my body kindly releases adrenaline which has the knock on effect of causing glycogenolysis to occure in my liver. To those who haven't got a clue what that is this is the process by which the liver breaks glycogen - the storage molecule for glucose - into glucose and dumps it into the blood. I suppose this is an evolutionary aide to the fight or flight response of the sympathetic nervous system which would help a caveman to leg it from an angry bison that went by the name of Lunch. What this evolutionary survival aide means is that weights cause my blood glucose to rise, this then leads onto me having to give a correction which annoys me sadly. I admit I want good control but that means lots of jabs. I want to have good control but I want to balance that with my desire to minimise injections. High bloods mean corrections but that's wehn my mind splits into two parts. One says jab to get better control so things won't go wrong at a later date, the other says just leave it to sort itsself out. Hard to choose isn't it? I feel obliged to go for the former of those options. I like my sight. Granted sticking a piece of surgical steel into your abdomen isn't nice but given the possible consequences many years down the line I think I'm willing to do it.

One more thing, for all you dear readers there will be a guest post popping up sooner or later. I'll get around to it when I do.

I get the feeling I've written a right old essay. I hope you've got the patience!

1 comment: