Thursday 2 June 2011

The King is dead, long live the King!

I saw my fabulous DSN yesterday. The result of that encounter is that I am going to change from my current preferred tipple of Novorapid to the alternative which goes by the name of Humalog.
There are many reasons for this. One of the key reasons is that my basals have changed so vastly since the last time that I saw my DSN, as has my insulin to carb ratio. We're begining to think that my body has started to take a set against the Novorapid, which I hasten to add I have been on since 2002 or 2003 when I started using it in pens. I believe that it came out onto the market around that time too. My DSN also uses Humalog in his pump. It's supposedly a little more pump friendly than Novorapid. I don't know if it's possible to start to become resistant to a certain insulin but it does feel like this is happening with me at the moment.
I've also got to refine my insulin to carbs ratio. the rough cut has been done, so to speak, by putting me onto the one unit for every seven and a half grammes of carbs. I've a feeling that I might be able to get better post meal results with something like one unit to eight to nine grammes of carbs. Well, I say better results, I mean the two hour post meal readings are pretty damn good, almost too good at times. I also appear to be able to drop into a few hypos about three hours or so after meals. I do love low readings post meal but when they are so good they make me think I'll hypo, well, things need to be done. I'm almost due a check two hours after my lunch. That and I'm planning a little bit of a basal test this evening. Nothing like getting it all done at once eh?

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment