Friday 17 June 2011

What's your poison?


All ready for the morning...

A little while, when I last saw my DSN (see post The King is dead, long live the King) ago the decision was made for me to switch from Novorapid to Humalog. I picked up the first vial of that today. Tomorrow is the big day as I've got enough in my current tank to last me until tomorrow morning.
It'd be fair to say that I'm a little nervous of this change to Humalog. I suppose the change is a good thing. At the time the decision was made I was having a rough time of it on the Novorapid. True to form, things are now behaving prior to the big switch. I'm more scared of having to make changes that I suppose will be needed with a new insulin. Just as things were getting good.
I'll make the change tomorrow morning. New reservoir, new set and, most important of all, new insulin. I suppose I'd best start with a completely fresh everything really. I'll be using a Sure T set as well, those just don't fail unless you're really, really special. I've yet to meet someone whose skin has caused a steel cannula to kink.
What the more shrewd amongst you may notice is that I've filled up a reservoir. The change is more than twelve hours away. I always pre fill my reservoirs as I find that I get fewer bubbles left in them if I leave them to stand and the bubbles dissapate. It's like leaving a pint stood at the bar for too long, all the fizz goes. Not desired in beer but most certainly desire in my pump reservoirs.
I'll put something else up after a few days on my new poison. This'll be interesting as I wonder how long it'll take for the dregs of the Novorapid to get out of my system and for the patterns of the Humalog to make themselves known.

No comments:

Post a Comment