Monday 30 May 2011

It all seems to be coming together at last!

So, after a fortnight of basal and bolus issues things seem to have finally started coming together. This has come at a cost I hasted to add. I have been going barking mad thanks to the frustration that having things go wrong on you and trying to find a solution to the problems. Well, going mad is something of a misnomer. I have been mad ever since diagnosis! There's only one way to live with the D.
So what've I done to crack the nut? I have changed my basals overnight to counteract waking up high. I can now go to bed on a reasonable level of say a six or seven and stand a decent chance of waking up on much the same number. I know there will be some fine tuning to be done but, the hard part has been done. The next thing that I've done is change my insulin to carb ratio. That's because I found my BG rocketing up to the high teens or so after each and every meal, no matter how much or how little carbohydrate I had. I now use one unit for every seven and a half grammes of carbohydrate. That's quite a change from my old one unit for every ten grammes. It also means that for the first time ever, I am actually using the bolus wizard gadget on my pump. It's a necessary evil as I can't damn well do the maths to work out my doses in my head. One unit to ten grammes was nice and simple. Here it gets sticky. Here there be dragons. That said, I shouldn't moan too much. It works and I'm not about to bugger about and change it.
After all this tinkering I am a bit fed up with the D although I am now rather less stressed because it's all going well at last. Now to see how long this thing lasts before I have to make more changes. That and the fine tuning of my overnight basal. Did I say something about being less stressed? Oh bugger...

No comments:

Post a Comment