Monday 20 June 2011

A fraught few days

A few days ago I started to use Humalog instead of my usual poison, Novorapid. It's been a bizarre few days. On the Humalog start day (H day) I woke up to a fifteen point something or other. Not a pleasant way to start the day. I was obliged to correct my BG and leave it a little while until things were back in order. The second day was one with near perfect BGs. Yesterday was the first day at work on Humalog. A very nice day. I suppose the success were more attributable to me getting the temporary basals right. Then again, Humalog does feel like it is a more forgiving insulin than Novorapid was. My insulin to carbohydrate ratio is the same. It doesn't seem like I need to tinker with that as yet. Thankfully.
Today hasn't been too bad. Well, It could be worse. I was fine when I woke up at three this morning (BG of 7.5) but when I awoke a few hours later (ok I got up at ten) I had a 12.7 which was something of an irritation as I've been going to bed on decent levels and waking up very close to the level I went to sleep on. Secondly I thought my pump was going to pack in. Fortunately it hasn't packed up. After a bolus not going too well because the pump was giving off very unpleasant sounds I phoned Medtronic. After a rather panicky conversation with the lovely woman at the end of the phone it has been found that all is well. I've just changed cannula and gorged on ice cream. I can't be arsed with testing my BG for a while now. I just want to get today over with! That and I just want to forget diabetes again. Some bloody chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment