Sunday 12 June 2011

Until tomorrow...

Today I just can't be bothered with diabetes. That's why I want to leave everything to do with it until tomorrow. Except I can't just put it off. For the past few hours I've been fighting to bring down a 15 mmol/l but it just hasn't happened despite a cannula change and that sort of thing. I'm hoping that the Silhouette set that I put in about four or five hours ago hasn't failed as I'll be rather pissed off to say the least! Normally I don't eat if I've got a high like that going on. I've left that for tomorrow.
Leaving things for tomorrow, so to speak, has it's pros and cons. Firstly, my 15 mmol/l won't drop as quickly as I'd like it. Then again, the stress that it brings about would make it harder for things to drop so to avoid some stress I've just given in to eating as not eating drives me up the wall and therefore makes me stressed.
I've corrected the BG of fifteen with five units. In theory that'll make my BG drop to five but now that I've eaten, it won't happen for a while. What else have I done then you might ask? I've whacked on a temporary basal of two hundred percent in an effort to bring things down. This'll help things drop quicker. If it works it'll be nice but I've a sneaking suspicion that it won't be working. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I'll be loading up a reservoir with fresh insulin and finding a set to use instead of the current Silhouette that I've got in. Probably a Sure T as those just don't fail. A Quickset is also an option as I don't really have trouble with them so maybe that's on the cards.
Tomorrow I will pick up the diabetes ball again even though I haven't really dropped the ball today. I just want to put in less effort. Every finger prick is much harder than it was yesterday. Bolusing is just above and beyond the call of duty. Even so I'm still doing it. What I'd give for a day free of diabetes... I'd almost settle for a day of decent bloods with little or no effort. I don't allow myself to dream of that much at all because it tends to get me down. This is the disease I never asked for nor wanted. It is Moriarty to my Holmes, my perpetual nemesis who I can never vanquish, merely stay equal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment