Tuesday 25 January 2011

People spew their guts and vom all day long!

Apologies for the rather graphic title. If this were a BBC programme there would be one of those things at the end which says "If you have been affected by any of the issues in tonight's show..."

So, as the learned readers amongst you may have gathered I have been ill. Spectacularly so infact. Last Tuesday I ended up leaving work early feeling like death warmed up. I didn't even make it home. I got to the front of the hospital where I work and spewed everywhere. I called up a very good friend to ask for some advice as I'd spent most of the afternoon hypo, half way through the call I had to pause to vomit. Not my finest hour. We decided to pop to A&E to be safe.
After a short wait in A&E and running to the toilet every few minutes as I had a massive case of the shits, I saw the doctor. Turns out I had a bout of gastroenteritis. What happened in A&E was the doc gave me an injection of metoclopramide right into the glorious area that is my furry arse. I also got a prescription for more metoclopramide for use later on. What metoclopramide does is it stops you vomiting. After leaving A&E my friend got me a cab home and made sure I was ok before leaving me as I was frankly plague ridden.
That was just the start. Over the first night I didn't sleep as I spent the night running to the bog every twenty minutes and throwing up every hour or so. I was also rather feverish. I can't recall much of that night which is a blessing. The second day wasn't too bad as the squits and vomiting were still there but much reduced. It took a few days for the vomiting and the shits to stop. I couldn't eat either really, well, not until Sunday. I made the most of the large amount of bacon that I had. Note past tense.
Interestingly the BG's behaved rather well during my predicament. This is partially due to being on a pump and having all the benefits that it brings. On the other hand I didn't eat anything for a few days.
As a result I'm now about five or six kilos lighter than I used to be. Result. Well, I do need to loose weight but in any other way than that! I'm at work tomorrow and I am rather looking forward to going back to work. I hate being sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment