Saturday 12 February 2011

A new job and all the fun that comes with it.

So, this post does come a bit late but then again better late than never. For those that don't know I'm now working as a Health Care Assistant in the local hospital. I work on the Orthopaedic and Trauma ward. It's rather eye opening to say the least.
Now, as you can appreciate with the D a new job means just a little bit more than standing around, keeping quiet and learning. It means trying to sort out new insulin regimes and that. For me on a pump this is somewhat easier than it would be on MDI. Well, I say easier because when I've got it right it will seem like an absolute joy because my BG's will be pretty damn good and hopefully there won't be many problems. However, before I get to that stage there remains alot of tinkering to be doing. Now that I've been at the job for a little over a month now I've got a pretty good idea of the patterns of activity in my shifts and what temporary basals work when. Now to translate all that into actually doing things, which, as you can probably guess by my writing this is that I'm shirking doing that and have yet to do it. This is the plan for the rest of today. Fingers crossed.
As a rule of thumb, I find that a seventy percent temporary basal works well throughout the majority of my shift and alot of square wave boluses help avoid post prandial hypos. Now time to do something and actually sit down and work out all that I need to for this to happen.

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I had to square wave most of my food boluses, it was like my body couldn't cope with having more than 3 or 4 units dumped in my system at one time.

    ReplyDelete