Saturday 8 January 2011

Times are tough, or more to the point, the skin on my beer gut is.

Something I've noticed over the past few weeks is that it's becoming a little harder to put in my Silhouette infusion sets. I use my belly as that's only place that I can get them in without it being utter agony, that and I can't reach elsewhere really.
What I've noticed is that sometimes the skin won't break unless I put alot of force behind the inserter needle. Now this isn't exactly desireable. It means that I have to go around my stomach testing to see if the needle will make it in without too much force. What I usually find that works is me putting a site in the same side of my belly twice as oppose to once then putting in a new one on a different side each time I change. It works well for me usually. That is until a few weeks ago. I just have to see if the other place is a bit better by trying to jam the needle in. Sometimes it works. Others I go back to the other side and hope that things will be a bit better the next time.
I suppose I'm lucky that I'm not allergic to the cannulas. That'd be a right pain in the arse if I'm honest. I'd then be obliged to use a steel cannula which is something I never want to have to do.
For that reason I've asked for a few boxes of the nine milimetre Quicksets that Medtronic do because I can use an inserter to put them in rather than pussy footing about with my hands. Maybe a different type of cannula will help me so I suppose it's worth a shot.

2 comments:

  1. tom, try and use elsewhere other than your tummy all the time. It may be that you need to try and use the back, or thighs etc or top of your bum. I've got bits on my tummy that cannulas don't like going into because of scar tissue etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok-you use the Silhouettes! I used those for awhile-but hated the introducer needle-made me almost faint a few times when I used them. I was like you to, having difficulties putting them in places because of the angle of attack. I did use them tho' on my legs - to give my stomach a rest. And for those reading this - I have an allergy to the teflon cannula Tom writes about - so had to switch in the end to a) straight cannula (which I find has less trauma to skin then the Silhouette; and b) it's the dreaded needle - but at 29 gauge - you don't feel a thing. I can say this tho' since I've been playing dart practise on my body for past 40+ years. I am a glutton for punishment!!! So, Tom, give the automated ones a go - you will find it will enable you to reach places you couldn't manually place them in. Don't poo poo the stainless steel just yet - I did when someone suggested it to me - but had some samples sent to me - and I gave them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete