Wednesday 25 May 2011

Frustration

So, a little while ago I did some basal testing which showed that my overnight basal was fine. Over the past few days I've been waking up on levels of at least eleven.
What's hard to accept is that only a week or so ago I was waking to pretty damn good numbers. Now I'm waking up high again it's hugely irritating. What really gets me is that although I may have cracked my basals one day, the next day things will change totally thus ruining a good work. All that I can liken things to is an artist in the midst of creating a master piece then being obliged to wipe down the canvas because a bird has shat on it.
I suppose that after nearly fifteen years of diabetes I should be well used to this fact. I believe that I am. Now that I pump the changes that can be brought about at a moment's notice things seem to be somewhat more palpable and they seem to make a greater splash.
So what's the result of all this you might ask? Once again I will be basal testing from midnight until I give in to the desire for a massive cup of sweet tea tomorrow at some stage. Ideally I'd like to go from midnight tonight to midday tomorrow and have a massive basal test. Now people who pump themselves know that a basal test is simply not as easy at it sounds. Laying off carbs of all sorts for any period of time isn't the only thing you have to do. That's the easy part. The hard part is timing any carb intake (aka a meal to those without D) prior to the basal test so that your insulin that you took for the carbs has left your system before you get cracking. So for me, any bolus that I take for carbs has to be taken at least five hours before the test is due to start. That is because the insulin I take in my pump (Novorapid) stays in your system for five hours or so. At least that's the idea.
So, by the time the eighty minute whistle blows (yes I do like my rugby) it's not just a simple question of forgoing any carbohydrate for a period of time. The bad thing is the logistics of preparing for the test. It's not fun. Then you have to take into account that if it's a night basal test you'll be waking up every hour, on the hour for the duration of the test. Fuck this for fun. I'll post the results when I re surface after the test tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment