Thursday 26 May 2011

So I said I'd basal test...

Well, I have done it. However, it's not what I quite wanted it to be as I managed to get my BG shooting up to sixteen at twenty to ten last night. Not quite something I wanted. So what did I do? Changed my cannula and corrected. That was a good thing. What it did mean was that I wasn't able to start my basal test until three in the morning as I'd have had active insulin at midnight when I really wanted to start the ball rolling.
Here be the results:

03:00 8.1
04:00 5.5
05:00 5.6
06:00 7.2
07:00 6.2

So, what might I draw from this? Well, the drop from 03:00 to 04:00 is quite worrying. This could go some way to explaining why I have been waking up high every morning. What I believe has happened is that I have gone to sleep on reasonable levels of about six - seven millimoles per litre and then because of too much basal I have ended up dropping into a hypo. My body has then flooded my system with glucose from my liver which was released by the hormone glucagon. That would cause my BG's to rise uncontrollably because my non functioning pancreas can't compensate for the glucose as it doesn't produce insulin! So changes are afoot.
On another point, I have also sussed why I am rocketing up to the late teens post meal. This seems to be because my insulin to carbohydrate ratio is out at all times. This was reinforced by my two and a half hour post breakfast reading being eighteen millimoles per litre. So what have I done? I've changed my ratio for the entire day from one unit to ten grammes of carbohydrate to one unit for every seven and a half grammes fo carbohydrate.
Now this does get to me a little bit. This is because I loved the times when I had a nice and easy ratio of one unit to ten grammes. That made life very easy in terms of bolusing. I could do it nice and easily. I didn't have to think over much nor did I have to use my bolus wizard. Now that's all changed. I have to use the bolus wizard as I can't work out the doses from that ratio in my head. It's irritating but I have to get on with it. I'm sure I'll get used to this but for the moment it's really doing my nut in.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment