Monday 10 May 2010

Almost a month in...

So it's been nearly a month since I started pumping. Only another two days to go but still, I can't be bothered to write this post in two days time as by then I will have forgotten it.
Since I began I've had a fair few trials and tribulations that have included being ill and going back to university. Illness on a pump is easier to manage than on MDI (Multiple Daily Injections) by quite a way. I managed to have a fair few decent bloods despite having the lurgie! Basal rates are the next issue. I am getting closer to the bull now. Just a few more tweaks and basal tests will see me on the home straight as far as the basal goes. It's quite incredible the difference that 0.05 of a unit will make. It's quite the tool this pump and I will be able to achieve much better control with this than I ever could with MDI.
If I didn't mention in my last post, I've had an HbA1C done. In effect that's a long term blood glucose reading to gauge how well I've been looking after myself in the past few months. Pre pump it was 8.3%, after three weeks of pumping it had dropped to 7.8%. Quite the change. I've never been able to get my HbA1C below 8% on MDI. I just never did happen.
Every day I learn a little bit more about pumping and the little tricks you need to use to make everything just so. For one I have had a few issues with bubbles when I've been drawing up my reservoirs. On a wonderful message board (http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/index.php) I use I was given the excellent tip of letting them stand over night before I load them into my pump. The rationale behind this is that the bubbles will, over night, rise to the top of the reservoir and form one larger one which can easily be expelled when you prime the pump. Another tip was to use insulin that had been out for a few hours to get it to room temperature. All nice and easy after a few goes.
For today the BG's have been near perfect. I woke up on a 5.4, then before breakfast got a 4.4, before lunch I was 5.2. I still need to tweak the basal a little, the need for that is demonstrated by the 4.4 at about eight in the morning when I had breakfast. Still, I'm nearly there which is good!
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Tom! I know that while I do a MDI test on myself over the next 6 months (I know glutton for punishment I am) - I know that because of having my insulin pump (Salvador Dali) by my side for 3 years prior - pumping has helped me out so much with being able to be more balanced with the MDI (tho' I find it more work with MDI - have forgotten basal shot in a.m. a few times - but managed with tweaking BG's during day by NovoRapid).
    I forget, what pump are you using again?
    Keep on pumping away!

    ReplyDelete