Wednesday 27 April 2011

My day in all but one way - diabetes really does suck.



My new method of cannulating myself. Note best mate behind to give support and commentary to the paying public.

So, today has been a pretty good day bar one thing. Since about midday my BG's have been steadily sat at around 12 mmol/l. Nothing too dramatic about that bar the fact it was over an extended period. What did I do? I decided to change my set. Turns out my Sure T set had found it's way into a blood vessel. That's why I was flying a little bit higher than usual. So I went to change it. The first time I managed to get it in without much pain at all. Then the problems came. I noticed that there was blood backing up the little part of the Silhouette set that you can see. Not a good sign. I took it out. Bad move. I took it out and blood just gushed out. I had to grab a load of swabs that I'd found in my uniform after a day at work. I ended up holding that thing to my side for a good five minutes to stem the flow. More irritatingly I've got blood on my beloved Iron Maiden T shirt.

2 comments:

  1. Argh my silhouette did that the other day it was mental! Had to snatch the closest thing I had which happened to be a full roll of toilet paper to press on to stop the bleeding lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great habit for finding veins and the like. Damn irritating when it does happen. It's quite amusing how much claret you can loose from such a tiny hole in you.

    ReplyDelete