Tuesday 15 March 2011

And you thought it couldn't happen to you...

So the past few days have been a bit interesting to say the least.
What's happened is over the past few days I've been getting rather raised blood glucoses. I thought that was down to having an ingrown hair which was a little infected (I'm currently on flucloxacillin for that) and a chesty cough. It would appear otherwise.
So whilst I was getting BG's in the 20's and one shockingly making it to 30 I thought it was due to that. Turns out it wasn't that. It was due to my pump packing in over a few days. It makes sense as it explains why I'd gradually been needing to put on temp basals that were higher and higher.
What happened was that somehow, insulin had been leaking out of the reservoirs and had got into the electronics of the pump's piston. This meant that it wasn't working as it should. Therefore I wasn't getting the basal insulin nor was I getting the boluses that I needed. If I did get some insulin it wasn't all of what I needed. That sent me sky high. I thought it was a run of dodgy cannulas, this isn't unknown to me. Essentially what was happening is that the piston couldn't work nor did it drive out the right amount of insulin.
So what did I do? Yesterday morning saw me looking at the reservoir slot on my pump and noticing alot of fluid there. I took out the reservoir and about sixty or so units of insulin just splashed everywhere. I immediately phoned Medtronic. They got my replacement out to me today. I hooked it up as soon as I took it out of the box.
Whilst my pump was out of commission, I went back to MDI and had reasonably good glucoses for the time period. Only one hypo and a high glucose of 10.9. Pretty damn good seeing as I was under alot of stress owing to a university interview today and not having my pump which meant I had to dust off memories of MDI and how to inject myself.
It was rather odd having to inject regularly after eleven months of not having to do so. Very bizarre. However, seeing as that played a vast part in my life for the thirteen or so years prior to me getting hold of my pump, it was easier than I thought it would be to slip back into the routine.
Overall, I haven't come out of it too badly. All's well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment