Monday 21 February 2011

Talkin' 'bout my wheels of steel!

Ah Saxon, thank you for giving me the title to my latest blog post as well as a damn good song.

So, when I started pumping I always had one thing that I wouldn't try, that was a steel cannula. Now thanks to a very kind person on the CWD mailing list I've now had a couple of them. This I suppose is something of a review.
Insertion:
These are relatively easy to put in as there's no faffing about with a Quick Serter or things like that. It's just a case of popping it in and leaving it there.

Comfort:
Now this is what I thought would be the problem when I did my research into the cannulas. I can't feel it at all. Even as I write this I have one in and it's no different to wearing an ordinary cannula. I like very much. The only downside is that it has an away from site disconnection thing. That's to say there are two bits that stick on instead of one. Small issue really. Then I have the equivalent of a tegaderm covering this one and the only issue with it will be when I take it off and it gives me an impromptu wax.
Also there wasn't a lump when I took out the first one. That's a first for me.

Endurance:
Now, in theory every cannula should be changed every three days. I managed to get four out of the first Sure T (for this is what they are called) and I'm sure I could have got more. My Silhouettes and Quicksets tend to last about four days at the most.

Overall I quite like them and I will be asking for several boxes when I make my next order with Medtronic. It'll be nice to have a change from the Teflon ones from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment