Tuesday 3 April 2012

Update time of the month.

What's new pussy cat? No, I won't impersonate Tom Jones. I cannot sink that low, oh wait, I have. Balls.

So, in theory I am on holiday from university at the moment, however, I've stayed on a little to crack on with an assignment. I love it as it's on cardiology. I'd hate to have to do another on diabetes again. Something that really gets me and bugs me every time I have to deal with it in a professional capacity. Thankfully this essay is one I'm really getting my teeth into and fascinates me. What's more is it doesn't have the same impact upon me in terms of emotion and such like.

In terms of diabetes I've had a little of a rough patch for reasons that I can't fathom. A few entertainingly high BMs and multiple cannula changes combined with correcting by a syringe. Things are now back on track thankfully. I'm sure my time on placement and the raised number of hypos, albeit minor ones has helped balance out the highs. Essentially I'm just plodding on and making the odd minor change to my basals. I think a little weightloss that has happened over the past few months has helped render me a little more sensitive to insulin and caused the need for a reduction in the amount of basal insulin that I require. Quite nice that.

Summer. Well, it is only April but we've had a fair old bit of sunshine. This brings with it the joys of making seasonal adjustments to my insulin regime. If memory serves, the logic behind becoming more sensitive to insulin when it's warm is that the heat causes vasodilation (expansion of the blood vessels) to bring blood nearer the surface to disperse heat by evaporating sweat. This also seems to increase the rate at which insulin is absorbed and used by the body resulting in a few more hypos. Something easily ironed out with my pump. Thank God for technology.

Overall it's going nicely here. I can't whinge. Too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment