Sunday 20 June 2010

So it begins....

The holidays from university are here. Now, unlike the majority of other students who work over their holidays I will be working in a field that actually counts towards my degree and eventual HPC registration. This should be interesting. At the moment I am rotating through the four departments of the local hospital pathology laboratory. I'm currently in Histopathology and I've really seen a fair few eye opening things. I won't mention what I've seen on here for two reasons. Primarily patient confidentiality and secondly, decency. There are some rather unpleasant things that surgeons hack out and send to histology to be turned from a lump of meat into a microscope slide. Ultimately this will help with my eventual HPC registration and thus allow me to practise as a Biomedical Scientist in the realm of the beloved NHS. Some doubt my sanity in doing this but the way that i see it is that I have less time after university to faff about in and the learning is all done at a rather gentle pace. Ultimately this way takes a year off my training time after univeristy as I will have all that I need to be HPC registered done within a few months of graduation as opposed to a year or two of graduation. Maybe I'll travel after university or maybe I'll do a few years as a Biomedical Scientist then go into medicine. I really don't know. What I would really like to happen is for me to change the views held by the Army on diabetes and spend twenty five years as an officer. Some hopes but exceptionally slim ones. I'll do a separate blog post about that at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment