Friday 26 November 2010

Two for the price of one...

Like it says, two issues for the price of one tonight.

As winter has arrived the nights draw in early and by about four it's darker. Now to anyone else this probably wouldn't have much of an impact on their life. For me as a diabetic the effects are quite interesting.
What I've noticed is that at about three or four in the afternoon of an ordinary my BG's have started to rise resulting in higher than average post meal BG's and higher than average pre meal BG's. What is wrong? Personally I think it's that I'm not getting enough basal. This is because I reckon that my body is getting tricked into thinking that it's night This may sound silly but given that it's pitch black by five o'clock. This seems to make my body think it's night and I should be asleep. I'd very much like to spend alot of my time in bed but that's besides the point. The answer is a basal test tomorrow from about two in the afternoon to about six in the evening. I will post the results tomorrow if I remember to do that!

Now the second issue. Given that my partner is also diabetic but under the care of Selly Oak hospital in Birmingham and is going for a pump which her consultant has now said he'll reccommend that she be given funding for it. This means that I've done a little travelling to and from Birmingham as I was at the appointment where she was told she'd be given funding. Ultimately it needs a three and a half hour journey either way. This has the lovely effect of raising my BG's. The worst part for raising the BG's is the part of the journey that I need to make on the London Underground. On my usual basal I find that I can't get my BG's below ten or so. Fortunately they don't go dramatically high. So it seems that I now have to put a temporary basal onto my pump for the length of the journey. It seems that journeying is a stressful event for me. Next time I travel I think I'll be popping on a temporary basal of about a hundred and twenty five percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment