Friday 13 July 2012

Injections

I had a bit of a struggle remembering my password to get onto this place. Time to blow the dust off the damn thing.

So as you all may gather, I am a student nurse. This means that I get to give injections. Yes, lots of injections. The usual poison of choice being deltaparin, a heparin based anti coagulant used in DVT prophylaxis.
Despite having been injecting myself in a bid to stay alive for the past fifteen years it feels rather bizarre to be harpooning people on a regular basis. Be that a sub cutaneous injection or an intramuscular one. For those of you that don't know what those are, go and look them up.

It is a rather strange and taboo feeling that I've had to over come since starting my nursing degree because it is quite normal to me to give myself an injection but to give someone else an injection? This isn't what I am used to. Then again, many people are not used to the reverse of that situation. Strange eh? IM injections though aren't bad at all. I quite enjoy them. I have two to my name. That's due to many medications that used to be given as an IM medication being now given intravenously.

No comments:

Post a Comment