Sunday 31 January 2010

Here goes...

Well, that time has come. I've started to blog about living with diabetes. I've sort of been looking for an outlet for my feelings about living with it other than the odd forum that I use and MSN conversations.

I suppose I'd best tell you all a little bit about my life thus far with diabetes so here goes. Back in the dark old days of nineteen ninety six at the age of five I was taken to the GP. I don't know what it was that my parents spotted but, Mum and Dad, it was a bloody good call. I recall peeing into a cup for the Doctor (this man was excellent. My successive GP's are nothing compaired to him.) From what I'm studying at the moment I now know what he did. I'll leave that to your fertile minds to ponder. The next thing I can remember is being in hospital with a nurse coming at me with a bloody great syringe. They got me to doa blood test aswell with, what is by my standards now, a geriatric blood glucose monitor. I have some memories of my Grandfather who was there with me and my mother having to do a blood test first. From that day onwards my life has seemingly rotated around injections of insulin and blood tests. First it started out as two injections a day. Then three. Then four. I'm at the point now of taking as many as I need bar the pre meal insulin and basal insulin. That said, jabs all end on the twelth of April this year as I get my hands on a nice and shiny insulin pump. I'll be getting hold of a brand new Medtronic Veo. For those that know what an insulin pump is I won't bother to explain. For those that don't know JFGI (Just F*cking Google It.)

I feel I need to say a little bit about myself other than the fact that I'm a type one diabetic and have been for fourteen years.

I'm a student studying for a BSc honours degree in Applied Biomedical Science degree in sunny south coast of dear old England. I suppose having diabetes has influenced my choice of degree course but there was something else that contributed to my choice! I suppose the point of this blog is to relate as many of my diabetes related experiences to those in the wider world who can be bothered to read. I love my music and have somewhat eclectic tastes. I go from good old Elgar right the way through to metal by the Swedish metallers Sabaton. Beer in my eyes is better than water but with the D you can't be too careful when substituting the good old water for the amber nectar that is served in a pint glass.

Here's hoping I remember the passwords to get into this for the next post!

1 comment: